August 2, 2013

Batik Statement XVI



Photographer, performer and make-up artist Remick asked me to make his Batik Statement. We have our studios in the same building, and so we talk a lot about our ideas, plans and artistic problems.
Remick makes these big, epic costumes for special occasion like Cultuurnacht in Breda*. In his performances and his outfits he noticed that he is always referring to his roots. Not consciously, more from the genes. The movements of Javanese dancers and shadows like Wayang dolls. Also the headpieces and other ornaments have a strong Asian feel to them.
To explore his Indonesian roots more he asked me to dress him up in Batiks. He was also my model during the Batik Statement Fashionshow**.

On the photos he is wearing Batiks from Madame Rosielle-Bergsma collection, which I also used during the Batik Statement Fashionshow. His dog Sonja turned out to be a great model as well. Thanks Mickel for your Batik Statement!


Got inspired? Get your Batik on! Make a picture of yourself wearing your favorite Batik and send it to me by email or post it on my Facebook wall. For inspiration see the previous 'Batik Statements' (tip: sunny, nice locations, lots of colors and good memories).


* Performance Remick during Cultuurnacht 2012, http://youtu.be/sB9SX4kI5wQ
** See my blogpost 'Batik Statement Fashionshow'

No comments: