October 20, 2012

Batik Statement V

Sometimes you just get knocked of your feet by surpises. Synchronicity is a constant factor in my collaboration with Emmy Dijkstra (see also 'Synchronicity III Tapa'). Not only in our work and what inspires us, but in much more. It is really great to learn more about and from Emmy. We had a really great exhibition in the forest at De Koekoek in Etten-Leur (see www.sabinebolk.nl) and last weekend I went to visit her in Enschede to see her exhibition at Eerst!.
We were at her studio and I was looking around. She got this picture out of her display cabinet: "I don't know if you had seen this picture before, when I saw your Batik pictures, I though you might like this one".
Like doesn't quite cover it, this was exacly what I was hoping for when I started my 'Batik Statements'. This was what I meant with my pattern-pattern-pattern-pattern-works.

The pictures is made in 2006. A stylist asked Emmy to pose for her with her work. Emmy couldn't remember her name, if you recognize this picture, please let me know so I can add your information. In my post 'Big trend' I told about the African Batiks in Emmy's work, like the one she is holding in her hand. For the picture Emmy is wearing a African Batik dress from her mother. The cloth on the floor and in the background are also from her mother. The hat was a present from her sister brought from Cape Verde, the cloth on the floor is also from Cape Verde. The cloth on th background is from Guinea.

What a wonder 'Batik Statement' suprise it is! I already suspected she was a African Batik queen, thanks for sharing!

Got inspired? Get your Batik on! Make a picture of yourself wearing your favorite Batik and send it to me by email or post it on my Facebook wall. For inspiration see the previous 'Batik Statements' (tip: sunny, nice locations, lots of colours and good memories).
On 24 november during the WinterFashionFair at Taman Indonesia I will make during a Batik Fashion Photo-shoot 'Batik Statements' of the visitors in the park. So bring your favorite Batik(clothing) with you! Also an exhibition is made of the 'Batik Statements' with Batiks. For more information, in Dutch, see 'Een reis naar Batik in dierenpark Taman Indonesia'
.

No comments: